3 tablespoons butter
6 whole graham crackers
3/4 cup milk
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Makes 12 bars.
1. Line the 8-inch square baking pan or dish with foil so that the foil hangs over the sides.
2. Grease the foil with butter.
3. Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
4. Once melted, move the pan to a heatproof surface and allow the butter to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Put the graham crackers in a zippered plastic bag, press out the air, and seal.
6. Using a rolling pin, crush the crackers to make small crumbs. You should have 1 cup of crumbs.
7. Add the crumbs to the butter and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended.
8. Scape the crumbs into the baking pan.
9. Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the crumbs. Using your hand, evenly spread the crumbs to coat the bottom of the pan.
10. Heat the milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the chips are completely melted.
11. Add the vanilla extract and salt to the chocolate filling. Stir until completely blended.
12. Pour the filling over the graham cracker crust and spread evenly with a wooden spoon.
13. Allow the chocolate filling and graham cracker crust to chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
14. Scatter the shredded coconut evenly over the chocolate, pressing the flakes in gently.
15. Refrigerate the bars for 3-4 hours, until they are firm. To serve, lift the foil from the pan and cut into small squares.
These bars represent the perfect balance between sweet and savory. The semi-sweet chocolate filling compliments the coconut perfectly and the graham cracker crust provides a delectable crunch. The recipe requires no baking experience and cleanup is a breeze. Enjoy!